Wednesday, October 21, 2009

FAQ

Why are you so mean?

I dunno. Maybe it’s because my parents didn’t raise me right. Maybe it’s because I have too many (or not enough) aberrant hormones raging through my sagging, middle-aged body. But mostly I think it’s because that poor entertainment in general just cheeses me off, and just because a television show, movie or book is created for children doesn’t mean that people (grownups!) should cut corners on quality. If something is crap, I like to call it like it is and warn others. If you disagree with my opinion, that’s great! Please feel free to say so.

Why are so many of your reviews for television shows or movies on DVD?

I am a stay-at-home mom. This means that we’re a one-income family and we just don’t want to spend the money on the movies out at the theater. When we do go see a movie, you can bet I’ll write a review about it. And though we own many, many children’s books, we tend to buy the classics and not so often the ones that are hot off the press.

If you have produced a new movie, book or television show for the children’s market, please feel free to email me at afraley @ sunflower (dot) com, I'll give you my address, you may send the material my way and I will be more than happy to review it. Keep in mind, though, that just because you go to the trouble to send me your material doesn't mean I'll show it any favoritism.

What makes you think you’re qualified to write these reviews?

Well, nothing, really, other than I have now watched hours of children’s television and movies and I’ve always loved children’s books. But I did earn a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Kansas and I’ve worked as a writer, reporter and editor for various newspapers and magazines for about twelve years now. Finally, between my connections with parents in the stay-at-home mom club I belong to, my kid's grade school and Daisy Scouts, I quite often find myself speaking with fellow parents about kids' shows--which ones they like, which ones they don't, which ones they won't let their kids watch under any circumstances, which ones they dread their kids watching ... those sorts of things.

Do you really let your kid watch that much television?

Our child’s viewing habits are probably a lot like your child’s: some days yes, she watches waaay too much and other days she watches nothing. It depends on whether or not she went to school that day or she’s home sick, whether or not it’s snowing or raining outside, whether or not I’m sick or dead-dog tired, and about a million other factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment