Thursday, April 15, 2010

TV – Chowder

☻☻☻☻☻

(five smiley faces out of five)

Man. I need to do a review on something I hate. I’ve been giving lots of four and five smiley face reviews lately. Ah well. I suppose that’s a good thing.

ANYWAY. Chowder is a cartoon airing on the Cartoon Network (apt, eh?) for anyone aged six and up who has a sense of humor. And when I say “sense of humor” let me put that into perspective for you: If you think that Jay Leno is consistently fall-on-the-floor HILLARIOUS, then you do not have a sense of humor. You have a sense of “ha.”


Chowder is not “ha”. Chowder is clever-hilarious bordering on the subversive.

I have only seen Chowder a few times, so I will admit that I don’t really understand all of the dynamics of the show. I do know that the lead character, who is apparently supposed to be some sort of purple raccoon, is a young kid named Chowder and is apprenticed to an old chef named Mung Daal who owns a catering company in Marzipan City. There’s also this weird, gray monster thing that hangs around, as well as a cranky old fairy lady who runs the front desk of the catering business. There are lots of food references sprinkled throughout the show.

I also know that Chowder is a delightfully bizarre, surreal, and completely legal drug-free trip that you and your kids can take together for a half hour at a time. You and your kids will laugh and enjoy yourselves even when you have no idea what’s going on. The writing is exemplary, the jokes genuinely funny and the animation absolutely captivating. The odd looking characters move through bright, psychedelic backgrounds that are reminiscent of India or Marrakesh.

Unfortunately, the last episode of Chowder premiered earlier this month, and the creator, C. H. Greenblatt, who used to write for the brilliant Sponge Bob Square Pants cartoon is moving on to the Disney Channel. (Let’s hope he makes it there, because let’s face it; after you’ve done Nick, Cartoon Channel and Disney, where else can you go in children’s television? Back to Nick?)

Before it fades away altogether, do yourself a favor and watch an episode of Chowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment